Photo credit: Tim Gage, 2006 via Flickr
It’s that crispness in the air. It’s the crunch of leaves under your feet. It’s that time of year when summer’s fading and winter’s approaching…..time to prepare for the upcoming 2019/2020 Mountain Pine Beetle season! Come join the Xylem team in Alberta this winter for MPB survey and control work.
We are currently accepting applications for:
- Data managers (previous computer experience in forestry applications with the Nelson area as a home base an asset),
- Mountain Pine Beetle surveyors
- Fallers/Chuckers (a 2-person crew with relevant certifications, willing to subcontract an asset).
We’d like to hear about your previous Mountain Pine Beetle experience. How many seasons you have worked and on which contracts? How working outside in bracing, wintry Alberta fits in with your lifestyle? Tell us about your willingness and ability to work in remote locations accessed via snowmobile. And just how much you looooove getting to know new people in close, temporary, living quarters. You may also want to include a little something about your commitment to safety, to be on the safe side….
All our fallers must have 1 of the following 3 certifications:
- Alberta Woodland Trainers Association Level 3
- Enform Level II-III, or
- BC WCB – BC Faller Training and Certification Level 1A
While we do occasionally hire employees for fall and burn, we often hire subcontractors. The following is a checklist for applicants considering subcontracting, and contact information for our preferred insurance provider.
Subcontractor Requirements (for a 2-person crew)
- High performance snowmobile
- 2 Million General Liability insurance
- with Xylem Silviculture named as additional insured
- 2-person team consisting of faller/chucker
- 2 Million Liability Vehicle insurance policy
- 4×4 truck with winter tires and all legislated safety equipment
- AB WCB Clearance Letter – that includes personal coverage for owner AND worker coverage for employees (Industry Code 3100 – Logging and Woodland Operations in AB)
- St Johns Ambulance Standard First Aid (2 day course) or higher
If you require General Liability insurance, our insurance contact is:
Maggie O’Brien, CAIB – Commercial Account Manager
HUB International Insurance Brokers
WCB FAQ’s: ALBERTA WCB 1 800 661-9608 CALL 10 DAYS AHEAD TO ENSURE YOU HAVE APPROPRIATE COVERAGE
BC Corporations (except Sole Proprietors) can work in Alberta for up to 6 month under their WorkSafe BC account if they have no workers and if only the owner of the corporation is covered under the WorkSafe BC account. Otherwise, the company needs Alberta WCB coverage.
Sole Proprietors from BC and all other Alberta corporations DO need Alberta WCB coverage, and are not covered in Alberta under their BC accounts.
It can take up to 10 days to get an active account in Alberta.
For more information check out our online web application form in our Employment section, or submit an application with a cover letter and resume to admin[@]xylem.ca